价值300元外教英语课程领取:http://www.acadsoc.com.cn/lps/lp4.htm?search=350982
1.Mrs. Cooper: so, Shelly, what’s up with you and your friend Amy, if you don’t mind a mother prying a bit?
好了,Shelly,如果你不介意妈妈窥探一下的话,你和你的朋友Amy之间有什么新鲜事儿吗?
Sheldon: well, there’s actually big news on the Amy front. She’s been studying the neurobiology of addition in lower animals. She’s this close to getting a starfish hooked on cocaine.
呃,在Amy事件上有着重大进展。她正在研究深井生物学在低级动物身上的成瘾性。她差一点就能培育出一只可卡因成瘾的海星了。
解析:
(1)Pry: 撬开;撬动;探查
Pry into:窥探;打听
Pry bar:撬杆;杠杆
例:
What did you pry on earth.
你到底窥探到了什么?
I won’t let you spy into my affairs, never.
我不会让你窥探到我的私事,绝不。
He pried the door open, but found nothing.
他把门撬开,什么也没发现。
(2)Hook on:挽住手臂;迷上,着迷(常用语被动语态)
Get something hooked on:使…对…上瘾着迷
例:
Language does not hook on to the real world.
语言和真实的世界并不是完全勾连的。
She got the monkey hooked on to smoking.
她让一只猴子对抽烟上了瘾。
备注:on the front:在…的前面;on the someone front:在…方面
2. Mrs. Cooper: long story short, today that woman travels the world with a semi-professional basketball player and two beautiful mixed-race babies.
长话短说,现在那姑娘跟着准职业篮球队员到处旅行,还生了俩混血宝宝。
解析:
Long story short: 长话短说
例:
Long story short, he will leave off tomorrow.
长话短说吧,他明天将会离开。
We don’t have enough time, so please make a long story short.
我们没有足够的时间,请长话短说吧。
3. Sheldon:And the best is at the Q and A afterward, I’ve worked up a couple of “Q’s” that will stump his sorry ‘A.’
最妙之处是在之后的提问回答环节,我想了好几个问题会让他为难的要说“对不起”。
解析:
Work up: 逐步建立;逐步发展;激发;整理
例:
She worked herself up into a bit of a state.
她把自己搞得有点动肝火。
You will be more excellent if you work up the energy.
如果你能激发自己的能,你会更出色。
4. Sheldon: we appear to be at a crossroads in our relationship, mother.
我们的关系似乎走到了十字路口。
解析:
Appear to:似乎;好像
例:
It appears to be your fault.
看起来像是你的错。
There appear to be plenty of others like you.
似乎像你一样的人有很多。
5. Penny:Leonard, you’re up. Wasserman, you’re on deck.
Leonard,该你了,冷笑话先生,你下一个。
解析:
On deck:准备就绪;在甲板上;准备就绪的;下一个将轮到的
例:
They have to sleep on deck.
他们不得不睡在甲板上。
Everything was on deck, and remains to be checked.
一切准备就绪,等待被检验。
Are you ready? You are on deck.
你准备好了吗?下一个就到你了。
6. Howard: Oh me? No thanks, I’m good. I’m really just trying not to burst into flames.
哦我?不用谢谢,我其实是怕被火烧成灰烬。
解析:
Burst into flames:烧成灰烬,突然着火;燃烧起来
Burst into:闯入
例:
Plastic bags suddenly burst into flames.
塑料袋突然间燃烧起来。
He burst into the classroom, interrupting the class.
他冲进了教室,打断了这堂课。
最新评论: