英语外教一对一课程免费体验:http://www.acadsoc.com.cn/lps/lp-tutor/mix-tutor.htm?search=350982
1. -Larry, listen to me. I don’t know how much more Nicky can take. Every couple months, it’s a new career, a new apartment. If it wasn’t for Nicky, I wouldn’t say anything. I would stay out of it. It’s just, it’s too much instability. It’s not good for him.
Larry,听我说。我不知道Nicky还能忍你多久。没几个月,就要换工作、换地址。要不是为了Nicky,我什么也不会说,我不会来掺和。只是,你太不稳定了,这样对他不好。
解析:
Stay out of:置身于…之外,不介入,不参与
例:
Stay out of it. It’s not simple as what it looks like.
别插手,这件事不像表面看到的那么简单。
“Stay out of water”, read the warning board next the deep pond.
切勿戏水,一个深水池塘旁边的警告牌上面这样写道。
Her mother hoped she’d stay out of the affair.
她的母亲希望她不要介入此事。
I just want to stay out of the matter between you two.
我只是不想插手你们俩之间的事儿。
2. –Let’s talk truly here. The museum is losing money, hand over fist. I guess kids today don’t care about wax figures or stuffed animals. So they’re downsizing, which is code for firing myself and the other two night guards.
说实话吧,这个博物馆亏本很严重,权力不断交割。我猜现在的孩子们都不喜欢动物标本和蜡像了,所以他们要裁剪规模,就是裁员,我自己还有另外两个夜班保安。
解析:
Hand over fist:平稳快捷地;不费力地;大量地
例:
He decided to left here to make money hand over fist.
他决定离开这里,去赚大钱。
The company is losing money hand over fist, what’s worse, investors declare the disinvestment.
公司正在大量地亏损,更糟糕的是,投资人宣布撤资。
I can lift the stone hand over fist, the little boy said proudly.
我能不费力气地把这块石头搬起来,这个小男孩骄傲地说。
Jane caught the apple Tom threw to her hand over fist.
Jane 稳稳地接住Tom扔过来的苹果。
3. –Some men are born great. Others have greatness thrust upon them. For you, this is that very moment.
有些人是生来的伟大,有些人是送上来的伟大,对你来说,关键时刻到了。
解析:
(1)Thrust upon:强加于
例:
I feel uncomfortable when you thrust these unsolved matters upon me.
在你把没解决的事儿丢给我的时候,我感觉很不舒服。
Don’t thrust what you don’t want upon others.
己所不欲,勿施于人。
There is no one thrust pressure upon you. You are just making trouble for yourself.
没有人把压力强加于你,你只是在自寻烦恼。
(2)Very:恰好是,正是,十足的,特有的
例:
You’re the very person I am looking for.
你就是那个我要找的人。
I shouldn’t save your life from the very beginning.
我一开始就不该救你性命。
4. –Erica had to be in court early, so I’m taking Mr. Big Stuff here to school. But he wanted to swing by, see you in the new job,
Erica早上要出庭,所以我要带小大人去上学,但他想绕道来看看你的新工作。
解析:
Swing by:用…吊挂;路径;短暂拜访;绕过去(捎带看一下)
例:
Continue your work. I just swing by and want to know how it is going.
继续工作,我只是绕道来想来看看进行的怎么样了。
We will swing by the photo studio.
我们会去照相馆看看。
Could you swing by and see if the supermarket is open?
你能不能绕道顺便看一下超市有没有开门?
备注:court 法院,朝廷
5. –Dexter. End of the line, cool breeze. I’m not playing games here. Just hand them over. Easy. That’s it.
Dexter,到此为止,冷静点。不和你玩游戏了,把钥匙递过来,慢慢地。就这样。
解析:
End of the line:山穷水尽,最终结局,穷途末路,到此为止
例:
With a huge debt and bankruptcy, he is at the end of the line now.
巨债累累加上破产,他现在是穷途末路。
End of the line, guys! You are really noisy.
到此为止吧,伙计们,你们真的很吵。
The end of the line is not always satisfying.
最终结局不总是都令人满意的。
6. –That means a lot coming from a guy who’s spent the last 50 years spying on a girl he’s never even talked to.
那么这么多大道理不都是从一个花了50年偷看一个女孩却不敢和她讲话的老头那说出来的吗?
解析:
Spy on:暗中监视;侦查
例:
The old lady thought someone was spying on her.
这个老太太认为有人监视她。
The police have spied on the guy for a long time. They want to destroy the black organization one time though him.
警察监视这家伙有段时间了,他们想通过他一举摧毁黑暗组织。
最新评论: