1. I met my father for the first time when I was 28 years old. And I made up my mind as a young kid…that when I had children… my children were gonna know who their father was.
我第一次见到我的父亲时,已经28岁,我儿时就决定,将来我有了孩子,我的孩子一定得知道他们的父亲是谁。
解析:
(1)For the first time:首次,初次,破天荒头一遭
例:
It is nature that you feel nervous when you give your lecture in such important occasion for the first.
第一次在这么重要的场合演讲,你感到紧张也是自然的。
I will never forget the scene we met for the first time.
我绝不会忘记我们第一次见面的场景。
It occurs to me that I came here for the first time.
我突然想起自己第一次来到这个地方时候的情景。
For the first time, he asked me to have dinner together.
破天荒头一次,他请我共进晚餐。
(2)make up one’s mind:下定决心
例:
Once you make up your mind, you should start immediately.
一旦你下定决心,就应该立刻着手。
You can make up your mind about tomorrow’s schedule according to a dice.
你可以通过投骰子决定明天的行程。
Reluctance or an inability to make up our mind will make you indecisive.
犹豫不决,举棋不定都会让你变得优柔寡断。
2. That’s mine. There’s no parking near hospitals. That’s what happens when you’re always in a rush.
那是我的车,医院附近不准停车,赶时间的结果就是这样。
解析:
(1)no parking:禁止停车;不准停车
例:
“No parking”, reads the sign.
禁止停车,牌子上面写道。
Don’t you see the sign “No touching”.
你没看到牌子上面写得请勿触摸的字样吗?
People can’t smoke in the “no smoking” area.
人们不能在“禁止抽烟”的区域抽烟。
(2)in a rush:急急忙忙,急速地
例:
They came in with a rush.
他们一哄而入。
Everyone working here is in a rush. I doubt that they never stop that.
每个在这儿工作的人都匆匆忙忙,我都怀疑他们从不休止。
Finding what he wants, he left the room in a rush.
找到他想要的东西,他急忙地离开这个房间。
3. I’ve been sitting there for the last half-hour…trying to come up with a story that would explain my being here dressed like this. And I wanted to come up with a story that would demonstrate qualities… that I’m sure you all admire here, like earnestness or diligence, team-playing, something.
我在外面做了半个多小时,一直想编出个理由,向你们解释我这身打扮出现的原因。想变出个故事说明我身上,拥有你们所欣赏的优点,像诚实,勤奋,团队精神等等。
解析:
Come up with:提出,想出,赶上
例:
We will come up with some new suggestions before tonight.
我们将在今晚之前提出新的建议。
I came up with them when they were rounding the corner.
他们在拐弯的时候,我赶上了他们。
The expert came up with a new problem about the black hole.
这个专家针对黑洞提出了一个新的问题。
4. Don’t ever let somebody tell you… you can’t do something. Not even me. You got a dream…you gotta protect it. People can’t do it. If you want something, go get it.
别让别人告诉你你成不了事,即使是我也不行。如果有梦想的话,就阿婆起捍卫它。哪些一事无成的人,想告诉你你也成不了大器。有理想的话,就要去努力实现。
在线外教一对一英语口语课程免费体验:http://www.acadsoc.com.cn/lps/lp4.htm?search=350982
5. So basically, you want nobody’s hand in your pockets but your own? Are you familiar with tax-free municipal…?
也就是说,除了你自己,不想让别人的手伸进你口袋。听过免税国债券吗?
解析:
Be familiar with:了解,通晓
例:
You must be familiar with the operating principle before you use it.
你在使用它的之前必须足够了解它的运作原理。
I was familiar with the Taylor formula.
我对泰勒公式很了解。
6. -We can go back to the cave if you like.
你要是愿意的话,我们可以回那个山洞去住。
-No, thank you.
不用了,谢谢
-why not?
为什么不?
-because some things are fun the first time you do them and then not so much the next.
因为有些事情第一次做兴致盎然,之后再重复就索然无味了。
最新评论: