1. -Why do you think he removes their skins, Agent Starling? Enthrall me with your acumen.
你为什么认为他给他们剥了皮,史达琳特工?
-It excites him. Most serial killers keep some sort of trophies from their victims.
这会让他兴奋,大多连环杀手都会保留一些来自于受害者的纪念品。
价值300元外教英语课程领取:
http://www.acadsoc.com.cn/lps/lp4.htm?search=350982 (北美原版教材)
口语英语速成班:http://www.acadsoc.com.cn/lps/lp-tutor/mix-tutor.htm?search=350982(剑桥,新概念等教材)
解析:
(1)enthrall:迷住,使着迷
enthrall with:被……吸引,被……迷住
例:
The lesson will surprise and enthrall all of you here.
这堂课将给在座的各位惊喜,并且让你们着迷。
Maybe the answer enthralls you, just remember it.
也许这个答案让你迷惑不解,但是只要记住它就好。
The audiences were enthralled with her sweet singing.
观众们都被她甜美的歌声给迷住了。
His works always can enthrall us with stunning pictures.
他的作品总能以一种令人震撼的美丽让我们着迷。
(2)some sort of:某种的;多少有些;仿佛
例:
The top of tower is indistinct in the fog, which some sort of magic wand when we see it in a long distance.
塔尖在雾中时隐时现,远看仿佛魔法棒一样。
The land subsidence was considered as the result of some sort of malfeasance of human being.
地陷被认为是人类的某种不法行为导致的结果。
Duels could be fought with some sort of sword, but with pistols after 18th century.
决定可以种某种剑来作为武器,但是18世纪之后却是用枪。
2. –He covets. That is his nature. And how do we begin to covet, Clarice? Do we seek out things to covet? Make an effort to answer now.
他贪婪,那是他的本性,我们怎么开始贪婪的?我们是否去寻找贪图的东西?用心回答我吧。
-No, we just……
不,我们只是……
-No, we begin by coveting what we see every day. Don’t you feel eyes moving over your body, Clarice? And don’t your eyes seek out the things you want?
我们的贪婪是从贪图日常的东西开始养成的,你可以感到有一些雅静在盯着你的身体,你的眼睛是否在寻找你想要的东西?
解析:
(1)covet:垂涎,觊觎,贪图
例:
He coveted her beauty for a long time.
她的美貌他垂涎已久。
Don’t covet what you can’t get at all.
不要觊觎你根本得不到的东西。
We fail to take care of our friends in need, and ignore others’ misery, but covet the materialism of the world.
我们不关心需要帮助的朋友,无视他人的苦难却觊觎世界的物质性。
(2)seek out:找出;搜出;想获得
例:
I will seek you out.
我要找到你。
You can create your life if you seek out what you can get passionate about.
如果你去寻找那些可以激发你激情的东西,你就可以创造生活。
People seek out frame and gain when they said they hate them.
人们一边说厌恶名利,一边却追逐名利。
(3)make an effort:努力,尽心竭力
例:
If you want to be a part of her life, you should make an effort to do so.
如果你想成为她生命中的一部分,你就应该努力。
I want to make an effort not to offend others.
我努力让自己学会不去冒犯他人。
Make an effort to realize your dream.
努力去实现自己的梦想。
3. –First I tried to free them. I opened the gate to their pen. They just stood there, confused. They wouldn’t run.
最初我想释放它们,我打开牲口棚的门,他们只是站在原地,指,不肯离开。
-But you could and you did, didn’t you?
但是你可以走,你走了是不是?
-Yes. I took one lamb and I ran way as fast as I could.
对,我抱起一只羊把腿就跑。
4. –what became of your lamb, Clarice?
你的羊怎么了?
-They killed him.
他们把它给杀了。
-You still wake up sometimes, don’t you? Wake up in the dark and hear the screaming of the lamb?
又是你仍会惊醒是吗?在黑暗中惊醒,听到那些羔羊的尖叫声,是吗?
-Yes.
是的。
-And you think if you save poor Catherine you can make them stop, don’t you? You think if Catherine lives you won’t wake up in the dark ever again to that awful screaming of the lambs.
你相信如果你把可怜的凯瑟琳就出来,就可以停止羔羊的尖叫声是吗?你相信如果凯瑟琳或者,你就不会在黑夜中在被哪些可怜恐怖的羊羔声惊醒了。
-I don’t know. I don’t know.
我不知道。我不知道。
解析:
Become of:使遭遇……;降临于……;发生……情况
例:
What will become of him if you leave him alone here?
如果你留下他一个人离开的话,他会怎么样呢?
I don’t know what would become of me if I didn’t enter the university.
我不知道如果我没有上大学的话,我会有怎么样的境况。
He usually wonders what would become of the country if there is another sun.
他时常在想,如果有另外一个太阳的话,这个国家该是怎么一种光景。
5. –You see a lot, don’t you doctor? Why don’t you turn that high-powered perception at yourself and tell us what you see, or, maybe you’re afraid to.
你看见很多,难道不是吗博士?为什么不把你深邃的洞察力用在你自己身上,告诉我们你看到了什么,或许你害怕这样做。
解析:
Be afraid of:害怕
例:
I don’t know what there is to be afraid of.
我真不知道有什么可怕的。
Don’t be afraid of the loneliness of enlightenment.
不要害怕因为造诣深而产生的孤独感。