1. I’ve never been this far away from home before, and I’m not sure at all where I am. If somebody could show me just a bit of kindness, a friendly “hello” or even a smile, I’m sure that would lift my spirit so much.
我以前从没离家那么远过,也不知道自己究竟在哪,如果有人能对我表示一点友好,说声“你好”或者一个微笑,哪都能减轻我的精神负担。
解析:
Lift one’s spirit:使某人打起精神,洗涤心灵
价值300元外教英语课程领取:
http://www.acadsoc.com.cn/lps/lp4.htm?search=350982 (北美原版教材)
口语英语速成班:http://www.acadsoc.com.cn/lps/lp-tutor/mix-tutor.htm?search=350982(剑桥,新概念等教材)
例:
Lift your spirit. Today is a special day.
打起精神,今天可是特别的一天。
We need good deeds to enlighten our life and lift spirit.
我们需要善举来点亮我们的生活,洗涤我们的心灵。
With the failure of final examination, he can’t lift spirit during all summer vocation.
期末考试的失败让他整个暑假都提不起精神。
2. -A baseball card? That’s what his gets down to is a baseball card?
一张棒球卡?一切只是为了一张棒球卡?
-You never love Hank like me.
你从没像我一样爱过汉克。
-You never loved me like you love Hank.
你也从没像爱汉克那样爱过我!
解析:
Get down to:开始认真考虑,着手处理
例:
Prepared all you need before you get down to the work.
着手做这个工作之前,要准备好所有你需要的东西。
Get down to something useful or you will regret all life.
做点有用的事儿吧,要不然你会悔恨终生的。
If you open the door, you will get to know the truth hid behind it.
如果你打开们,就会知道隐藏在背后的真相。
3. After a whole day of that, you still want to get engaged? Oh, please. Those people got married on a crazy romantic whim.
经过这一整天的折腾,你还想订婚吗?这些人结婚是被疯狂的浪漫冲昏了头脑。
解析:
(1)Get engaged:订婚
例:
He was absent from the party where he would get engaged.
他缺席了他要订婚的聚会。
When did they get engaged?
他们什么时候订的婚?
They will get engaged, get married and live a happy life.
他们会订婚,然后结婚,幸福地生活。
(2)on a whim:一时兴起,心血来潮
例:
Don’t get married on a whim. Marriage should be treated strictly.
不要因为一时兴起而结婚,婚姻不是儿戏。
I played the different melody on a whim.
我心血来潮谈了段不同的旋律。
Under the new rules, credit-card companies can’t jack up interest rates on a whim.
在新法案规定下,信用卡公司不能凭借心血来潮随意提高贷款利率。
4. -Are you in league with the wicked old hag who sent my poor Giselle to this foul place? Is this man party to this evil plot, chipmunk?
你和那个把我的Giselle送到这个破地方的邪恶巫女是一伙的吗?花栗鼠,这人参与了这个邪恶计划吗?
-Uh-oh.
不是吧
-Aw, poor chipmunk, speechless in my presence. What say you, sir? Don’t try my patience.
可怜的花栗鼠,在我面前说不出话。先生,你怎么说?别考验我的耐性。
解析:
In league with:与……联合,与……沆瀣一气
例:
He is loyal. It is impossible for him in league with such a guy like you.
他是个正直的人,不可能和你这样的家伙沆瀣一气。
We both can benefit from that if you are in league with me.
你们与我们联盟对双方都有好处。
They were in league with the stuff there to rob the bank.
他们与内部职员联合打劫银行。
5. -I realize you’re upset, madam, but if you could find a way to give me one more chance.
我知道你很生气,陛下,但是如果你能再帮我制造一次机会。
-Another chance? Do you think poison apples grow on trees? There is only one left! You are out of chances!
再一次机会?你以为毒苹果是从苹果树上长出来吗?只剩一个了!你没机会了!
解析:
Out of chances:没有机会,机会之外
例:
We all are out of chances if the manager leaves there.
如果经理走了,我们都没有机会了。
You lost the last one, and you are out of chances.
你错过了最后一次机会,就再也没有机会了。
They were out of chances and at the end of death and couldn’t let go.
他们失去了机会,在生死线上挣扎但又不愿放弃。