1. No gladiator should die from a blade to the back, when you die, the blow will come from the front.
斗剑士决不能死于背后捅刀子,要死也要死在正面的刀剑之下。
解析:
(1)die from:死于,因……而死
例:
There will be solution to deal with cholera. No one will die from it.
会有办法解决霍乱的,没有人会因此死去。
You can decide to be happy with what you have, or die from envy and jealousy of what you lack.
你可以决定是为拥有的感到幸福,还是死于羡慕与嫉妒自己没有的东西。
Die of:因……而死,死于
区别:die from死于有环境造成的,如traffic accident,the earthquake,etc;die of主要指死于疾病、衰老等自身原因,如 illness、heart attack、oldness,etc;若死于环境影响体内双层烟瘾,二者均可,如a drink、wound,etc。
例:
Many people died from the earthquake in Wenchuan.
在汶川地震中,死了很多人。
Her mother is going to die of cancer very soon.
她的母亲患有癌症,将不久于人世。
The poor girl died from/of cold and hunger.
这个可怜的小女孩死于饥寒交迫。
(2)blow:打击,当头一棒,殴打
例:
The wind blew her hair back from forehead.
风把她额头上的头发向后吹。
Anyone can’t bear off such blow, not to mention she is just a kid.
没有人能承受的了这样的打击,更何况她还是个孩子。
免费试听在线一对一英语培训课程:http://www.acadsoc.com.cn/lps/content/ystf_test.htm?search=350982
2. In the darkness you could hear the crying of women, the wailing of infants and the shouting of men. Some prayed for help. Others wished for death. But it still more imagined that there were no Gods left. And that the universe was plunged into eternal darkness
在黑暗中你能听到女人的哭泣,婴儿的啼哭和男人的呐喊。有的人祈求帮助,有的人但求一死,但还有很多人认为神没有离开,世界陷入了永恒的黑暗。
解析:
be plunged into:深陷
例:
She was plunged into the miserable memory and can’t wake up.
她陷入过去痛苦的回忆中,无法清醒。
What people worried about is that they will be plunged into poverty.
人们担心的是他们还会陷入贫穷。
Being plunged into the unknown future, many young people don’t know where to go.
跳进这未知的未来,许多年轻人不知道该何去何从。
3. I do not yield to the power of Rome! I spit on it.
我不屈服于罗马的权利,我唾弃罗马。
解析:
(1)yield to:屈服,让步
例:
We shall never yield to the invaders.
我们绝不会向侵略者屈服。
I won’t yield to you, even if you accuse me.
就算你起诉我,我也不会向你让步的。
They yield the town to the enemies without any revolt.
没有任何反抗,他们把这个村庄拱手让给了敌人。
The ice has yield to the sun.
并在阳光下融化了。
(2)spit on:向…吐唾液,向…表示蔑视
例:
Don’t spit on the floor.
不要随地吐痰。
Spit on you!
蔑视你!
Paul is using the middle finger to spit on you.
保罗竖着中指表示对你的蔑视。
4. There is only one freedom for a gladiator. When you die in that arena, you die unconquered.
对斗剑士来说,只有一种自由,当你死在竞技场上,却从未被征服过。
解析:
unconquered:未被征服的;未克服的
例:
The unconquered fear made her more nervous.
未能克服的恐惧使她更加地紧张。
There is no way to me to escape unconquered.
我永远没办法做到不被征服。
5. I don’t want to spend our last moments running.
我不希望我们最后一刻是在逃跑。
解析:
Spend (in) doing:把……花在……上
例:
I spent all my college days doing nothing.
我把我的大学时代都花在了无所事事上。
The woman spent all her money investing, as a result, she lost everything.
那个女人把她所有的钱都花在了投资上,谁料血本无归。