在线外教一对一英语口语课程免费体验:http://www.acadsoc.com.cn/lps/lp-tutor/mix-tutor.htm?search=350982
1. -Dad, let me explain. You never let me talk.
爸爸,你听我解释,你从来不听我说话。
-You’re grounded.
我要关你禁闭!
解析:
Be grounded:被禁足
Be grounded in:以…为基础;以…为依据
例:
You should be grounded, because you made a big mistake.
你真应该被关禁闭,因为你犯了个很大的错误。
Lucy was grounded when her father knew her out at night.
当露西的父亲知道她夜间外出的时候,她就被禁足了。
All theory must be grounded in the science.
一切理论必须以科学为依据。
What I said is totally true. It was grounded in fact.
我所说的完全是真的,是以事实为依据的。
2. –Well, I thought he was a warthog, but then he turned into a boy.
我已开始以为他是头疣猪,后来我发现他是个男孩。
-Strange. Usually it’s the reverse.
真稀奇,一般都会说他是个禽兽。
解析:
Turn into:变成,进入
例:
I feel the snow turning into my body, and freezing my blood.
我觉得雪进入到我的身体中,把我的血液都冻僵了。
Sunshine is warm, and it takes not very long time that the snow man turns into the water.
阳光很暖和,没过多久,雪人就变成了水。
We can turn rubbish into wealth.
我们可以把这些垃圾变废为宝。
3. So dad, just to be clear. Are we looking for the exact same cave? Okay. If it was me…I was throwing this out there. If it was me choosing the cave, I would go with a smaller cave.
爸爸,我想确认一下,我们要找和之前一模一样的洞吗?如果是我,我只是提个建议,如果让我来选山洞,我会挑个小一点的。
解析:
Throw out:扔掉,伸出,说出,否决,突出,提出
例:
Feeling boring, he threw out another new challenge.
觉得无聊,他又提出了另外一个新的挑战。
Jim is my mentor. He can throw out the important suggestions for my ideas.
吉姆是我的良师益友。他总能给我的想法提出很重要的建议。
Your interruption threw me out in my mind.
你的打断打扰了我的思绪。
4. –We can’t let him go! What if we don’t find a cave before sunset? What if it takes a few days? What if the birds come back?
我们不能放他走,外衣我们在日落前还没有找到山洞呢?万一要找上好几天呢?万一那一群鸟又回来呢?
解析:
What if:假使…会怎么样,如果…会有什么不同
例:
What if I didn’t choose work but further education at the beginning?
如果一开始我选择的不是工作而是深造的话,会有什么不同?
What if it is rainy tomorrow?
如果明天也下雨会怎么样?
What if he leaves forever?
即使他永远离开,又有什么打紧。
5. -I’ve got an idea. Let’s go to that mountain.
我有个主意,我们去那座山上。
-Dad really has heart set on a cave.
我爸只对山洞感兴趣。
解析:
Have one’s heart set on:渴望,一门心思,一心想要做…
例:
I just have heart set on your clothes, not you.
我只是对你的衣服感兴趣,而不是你。
Amy has heart set on marrying a rich man.
艾米一门心思想要嫁给富豪。
6. –I’ll take that chance.
这个机会给我吧!
-You know, I wanted to throw you away ever since I met you.
你知道吗?从我见到你开始,我就一直想把比扔出去。
解析:
Take the chance:碰运气,冒风险
例:
If there is no one wants to try, I’ll take the chance.
如果没人想要试一下,那我来碰碰运气好了。
Take the chance. This is the last one.
抓住机会,这可是最后一次了。
Nobody wants to be involved in the affair, because no one wants to take the chance.
每个人都不想被卷入这个事件中,因为没人想要冒这个险。